Sunday, February 26, 2006

One Crazy and Amazing Day


One Crazy and Amazing Day
Originally uploaded by aimeenance.

CLICK ON THE PHOTO ABOVE TO SEE THE REST OF THE PICTURES FROM TODAY.

CLICK HERE TO SEE THE VIDEO

Wow what a day. We had Emma's visa photo taken. Then we visited a river front park and watched everyone do their exercises and dances. We are staying on Shamian Island which is very small, about 44 acres. There are plenty of shops right outside the hotel. It's funny because all of the shops have American names and everyone speaks pretty good English. It was because of this, that I had the idea today to venture away from what I thought were the tourist traps. I didn't want to pay and arm and a leg for stuff that we could find super cheap off the island. So we walked our way off the island and found ourselves in the middle of craziness. Good craziness. We had walked ourselves off the little map we had been given and just about anywhere we were going was NOT in the travel book we brought. I had seen somewhere that there was a free market. So I thought this may be a good place tostart on the souviners we still haven't bought. Well let me tell ya.....the free market was referring to the market where they sell meat. Oh you know things like dog, goats, pretty much anything with 4 legs. Actually our guide in Nanchang said "watch out when you go to Guangzhou, Cantonese like to eat anything with 4 legs...anything expect for tables and chairs." Whoa was he right. Due to some construction we ended up take a detour. The smell from our detour could have gagged a maggot. I was filming the entire time trying not to throw up. By the end of our detour we both had knots in our stomachs and I had a huge lump in my throat. I finally looked down to see what was making me want to loose my breakfast.....snakes, turtles, fish, frogs, eels...you name it...it was alive and squirming. Later down the street, I did see dead goats hanging out in the street and another "unknown" animal. Later Phil informed me that it was Fido. Yup....a dog. We never really did find what we were looking for. Later as we were on our "adventure", we found puppies, mice, rabbits, kittens and fish all for sale. I felt much better once I looked up and saw animal stores to go with these "pets". You could buy a puppy, leash, food and a puppy sweater all at the same place...out in the middle of the street. We really didn't stop much to take snap shots, but I kept the camera rollin'. So back to Shamian Island for more paperwork. It's funny because all the "stuff" that they sell on Shamian Island is catered to what we want to buy. The cute little silk outfits, chops, pictures..blah blah blah. It's all right here....not on the mainland with the dead goats. So tomorrow I plan to buy our "stuff" right outside the hotel..just like everyone else. We went out for Thai tonight and it was great. Later we took Emma for a night stroll along the Pearl River in the park. We love Guangzhou....it's real pretty and has many comforts of home. Emma is still a wonderful child. Oh ya...today after breaking my wrist with more paperwork, I came "home" to Emma answering the door. Phil opened the door and stuck her cute face out and said I couldn't come in. I laughed so hard I thought I would wet myself...guess you had to be there. For anyone coming to Guangzhou...go off the beaten path. It may be the worst smell ever, but it's something you'll never forget.

7 Comments:

At 7:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aimee,
James was our CCAI guide in Nanchang! It was James and Kiki. Please say 'HI' to James from Lynette Wong, Marc and Ava Meylemans from Group 828 in August 05.

Love your photos - We didn't venture off the island without our bus and guide. I wish now we would have.
Lynette

 
At 9:20 AM, Blogger Jay & Claudia said...

Hey Aimee, it's Jay from the Yahoo group. We're still waiting for our TA, but I've added you to my blogspot links and I check your blog daily. It's been really fascinating to read your account and journey. Emma is amazing and I remember the day we both got dissappointed when the government slowed down and we didn't make the cut off. In fact, I think my post made you cry...not my intent :). So, now that you had to wait and after all that disheartening slips, I bet you're sure you ended up with exactly the perfect daughter for your family. Anyway, keep up the great work, I love your blog and I read it religiously...we should leave in a few weeks. I've done the "non tourist" thing you did in Taipei and Manilla, I know what you mean by the smell :/. So hug Emma a bit tighter for those extra days you had to wait.

 
At 1:11 PM, Blogger Kim M. said...

It so great to see that big smile on Emma's face.

 
At 5:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow! Your detour looks truly AMAZING! Mike and I watched the video twice to get the full effect of the market! You made us feel like we were there too, nice filming Aimee! Love that you just kept laughing about it, we heard Phil chuckle a time or two as well!
-"Keep Smilin'"
Love ya, Heidi

 
At 8:50 PM, Blogger Shelley said...

China is such an interesting place. I'm so glad you are making the most of your adventure. There is just so much to see there.

Love the pix and videos.

Shelley

 
At 7:58 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Emma is absolutely adorable! I can't wait to see you guys in March. I'm very excited.

Love you,
Wendi

 
At 11:00 PM, Blogger Jenny V said...

Loved the video. What a cool perspective. I felt like I walked the streets of China today. So glad the puppies were for pets and not for lunch. At least that is the story I am telling myself. I love Aimee's "Just keep smiling" phrase. I hope you enjoy the rest of your trip. Emma is too cute.
Take care
Jenny V
www.sophiashope.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home