Thursday, July 27, 2006

Forfieting the baby making machine??

Yesterday afternoon I went again to the OBGYN, starting to feel like I should get a frequent vistor card where my 5th visit is free or something. Before I even got in the car I took myself a long shower. And ladies, you totally know what I'm talking about. The shower you take before your "exam". The type of shower, you're not even so sure you took the night you met your husband or got engaged, maybe not even on your wedding day. A very thorough shower.

A quick knock on the door and there was the Dr., ready to find out what was going on. As with any exam of this type a nurse has to be present. After a few minutes the nurse did appear, and then another nurse, I kept my eyes on the door to see exactly how many people were going to be walking in. I was starting to wonder if we would be trying to fit as many nurses into the room as possible to see my privates or what. Thankfully the door closed and there were only 4 people in the room, still about a few too many. One quick ultrasound and, 'Hey what do ya know there were things showing up on the screen...then it was time for the saline sonogram. This would be were I started to crack jokes and laugh. I mean 3 visits to the OBGYN in about 5 weeks, what the hell else are you supposed to do?

And there they were, polyps swishing in the saline solution clear as day on the screen. Yup, I saw it for myself. Ohh hope it's not to late to say that if you're not in to reading about some random lady's uterus and random things that might be festuring in it, then you don't want to read this! In addition to the polyps there is a good chance I also have endrometriosis. The pain I have been feeling and describing are not associated with the polyps. Endometriosis is hard to diagnos without actually having laproscopy. And ya the sonogram did hurt, but nothing compared to what I have been feeling.

This would be where the Dr. asked if I was done using my uterus in the terms of reproduction. Pretty much, "are you done with that?"

Hmmmm, ususally when I hear, "are you done with that?" it's often refering to my vodka tonic I have been able to order while enjoying the presence of my husband on a coveted "date night". This is where you look at the melted ice and try to distinguish between the melted ice and the actual vodka and of course just for good measure you take that last slurp and relinquish your glass. But my uterus? Gosh, I think so. I mean. I do have 2 kids and well, 2 around here is good enough.....but I've been sorta attached to the uterus and have had it for a good 31 years. But then again, you start talking about not getting periods and well I start to search for where I sign on the dotted line. And of course when the Dr. explains that hysterectomies these days are 'not like your mothers ' and that there are only 3 small incisions on your tummy and recovery time is only a few days...the whole thing is starting to sound a little better. And no, he didn't use my mother as a frame of reference.

Actually, I said I would wait 2 months and then decide. I have started to feel a little better. I wonder if it's because I have purposely not gotten my period since May. I'm a little hesitant to quit taking the "pill" and start getting my periods again. I have decided to wait till after Jessica's party. Knowing how completely awful I felt the last time (the first time in my life I ever bought Midol) , I can't imagine having a 3 year old's party going on while wondering if I would be feeling better at the bottom of the pool with a weight around my neck.

I still have the GI appointment in 2 weeks. I mean, why not? Let's find out everything. And to keep the appointments steady, I also have an appt. with the dentist next week to finally put a crown on my tooth.........ya know the crown that fell off while in China. Ur... uh....ya that really was 6 months ago....I'm a slacker.

15 Comments:

At 11:33 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aimee, Love reading your posts right before I go to bed so I can go to bed laughing! Glad you're feeling a little better . . . wouldn't worry too much about being a slacker w/ the dentist . . .it took me 10 years to get to the dentist, he said everything looked great, but I'd have to schedule another appt for a cleaning . . . I think THAT might have been while you were in China and my teeth still aren't clean! Courtney

 
At 5:43 AM, Blogger Emily said...

well, at least you know what was causing it-- one question to consider-- will having a histerectomy(sp?) bring on premature menopause?? i had no polyps- just a funky uterus so they put me back on the pill
hope things get better!

Emily
LID 1-16 (ARGGGH)

 
At 7:11 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Aimee - I waited 3 years to make the decision and was miserable the whole time. Then I found out I had developed full blown uterine cancer. It's really not worth it. And as for menopause - so what? The way you feel after is much better. My recovery time was literally 4 days. I had my surgery on Wed and was back at the gym in Mon. Micki

 
At 7:18 AM, Blogger Stacey T. said...

Aimee,
I had a hysterectomy about 4 years ago. If you have any questions, just let me know. Seriously, though, my doctor told me that your uterous is good for 2 things: baby making and a period, and mine couldn't do the important one of those, so out with it...

It's a rough road when you're deciding, but then when you can just ignore those "Always" and "Tampon" commercials, it's kind of nice!

P/S I still have my ovaries.

 
At 7:19 AM, Blogger Stacey T. said...

Oh forgot to mention my recovery. It was about 2 days, then I felt really back to normal, and that was actually with an incision...I think they do a lot of them now through the "giney", hahah!!

 
At 2:42 PM, Blogger Thumbelina's Mom said...

Good luck with everything and I hope you feel better soon!

 
At 9:04 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

I had a pretty strong feeling that you might have endometriosis, because of my own experiences with it. I'm so glad you have a diagnosis, and are feeling better. I too have been asked "are you done with that?", and I haven't even given birth to any children. It turns out that I am indeed "done with it" and will be having it removed in six-eight months, after my kidney disease has been treated. I found it a very hard decision to make, so you take your time and think it through before deciding what to do.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Shelley said...

What a relief to know what is causing you such pain and that it can be fixed.

The laperoscopy is a breeze. Not bad at all. I had it done when they took my appendix out, and you do feel better pretty quick.

My Mom had the old-fashioned kind of hysterectomy, and it took her a while to feel better. So I imagine the doc is correct with all the new technology they use. She did experience premature menopause symptoms.

Hey, parts is parts. The sooner you get rid of that little troublemaker, the sooner all this pain will be behind you forever.

And who needs a uterus to have a beautiful baby? :)

Glad you're feeling a bit better.

Shell

 
At 1:51 PM, Blogger Jen said...

It's good you now know the cause but the uterus is part of you as a woman. It's not like your spleen or appendix. So, of course it's going to be a tough decision. Take the time you need to make it. I always recommend a second opinion, too. It helps me to feel like I made a smarter choice with more than one doctor weighing in. They are all different, believe me. And, yes, ask more about premature menopause and what can be done for that. Now, time for that vodka martini...swish, swish.

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

I had a hysterectomy in 2001 and when the surgeon came out to the waiting room to talk to my husband he simply said my uterus, "just gave out."

Sounds like your dr. and his "done with it?" comment!!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

btw: it is actually VERY nice not to have a period!!

 
At 1:01 PM, Blogger Kristin said...

btw: it is actually VERY nice not to have a period!!

 
At 8:44 AM, Blogger Beth and Shayna said...

Aimee,
I am going to email you off line, but I have been diagnosed with endometriosis since I was 14, yes very young. Another red thread for us, who knew??

 
At 4:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 3:37 PM, Blogger Chrissie said...

Hi, Aimee. I guess it is good to atleast have a diagnosis now. I can't give you words of encouragement as luckily I have never had too many "womanly" problems. However, think how much mula you'll save - no more tampons or pads! I'll be thinking of you and hoping it all works out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home