Monday, September 04, 2006

Back in the saddle again.....................

I'm here, are you? Sure hope that's not the sound of crickets.. Well let's see. Awhile back Phil opened is paycheck and about burst into tears. No, not those tear...like you just won the lottery. The tears like, "What the hell is this shit? I just got done working how hard, for this? Are they kidding me? Are they outta their frickin minds? I'm so outta here!" And that was it. Time to quit being a manager for a major mortgage company (read: Wells Fargo) and go back to being self employed. Only this time, it's a bit trickier. We didn't feel like he could successfully make this move without his assistant, which meant she too would have to quit. Convincing a single mom of 2 to give up a steady paycheck and benefits, isn't the easiest of tasks. Long story, short....last week Wells Fargo all but emptied out and we now have people working out of our upstairs. I know, glamorous life....you wish this were you.

So it's been nuts. "Helping" people with their real estate tests, buying laptops, installing software, getting PO boxes, ordering business cards and of course trying to figure out how everyone is going to support themselves now that we're all 100% commission and it's not like we all had tons of money working for Wells. Oh ya and the best part, not letting Wells Fargo know about any of this till we were all "ready" to leave. The goal; come spring we would like to be up and running with our own "real" office space in town and a few employees.

A week before the big employment move, Phil's grandmother was sent to hospice. Phil quickly boarded a plan for South Carolina and was with his family for almost a full week. Thankfully Phil was able to attend the funeral before heading home. The world lost a wonderful woman the day Cora Lee passed. She's the type of person who carried more class in her pinky finger than most of use do in our whole body. They just don't make people like Cora Lee anymore. To know Cora Lee was to love Cora Lee. It was awful without Phil here. Actually the girls took it pretty easy on me, but whoa was I bored and outta sorts.

This is what else is happening around here; College Football. We LOVE college football and are avid Oregon Duck fans. This would be Phil using my foam finger to flip me off. You would think after parking his rump on the couch and watching hours of football while enjoying cold frothy beers, he would be in a better mood. Oh well :)

Here's a wonderful thing happening around here. Phil's assistant loves to babysit. Well what do ya know, I love to have my kids babysat while I enjoy adult time. This would be us while we enjoyed a full night out. Yes folks that's 24 glorious hours of just us (I can't even type this without a shit eatin' grin on my face). We started out at the Del Mar horse races where we probably would have had more fun just standing over the toilet and watching our money swirl down. Oh well. Then it was off to The W hotel. We cruised the gaslamp district for dinner and then drinks. While enjoying libations we laughed at a bachelorette party. I dared Phil to take his shirt off and run into the crowd of screaming girls. Guess he hadn't had enough $9.00 vodka tonics, as he turned me down. One of the biggest laughs, was hearing Joan Jett's blaring, 'I love Rock N Roll". You know, the song that goes

I love rock n' roll

So put another dime in the jukebox, baby

I love rock n' roll

So come an' take your time an' dance with me

This would be about when we both felt 200 years old. Hmmmmm a "dime" for the jukebox? Try C-note. Jukebox? Dear gawd, do they make those anymore?

After that it was back to the hotel for their own awesome bar. On top of the roof at The W, they have a sand bar. The entire floor is about 2-3 inches thick of sand...heated, of course.



Just this Tuesday was Jessica's first day back at preschool again. We're starting to wonder how this kids is going to manage a backpack full of books when her lunch box alone weighs 85 pounds. And just like every dainty little princess heading out for her first day of school, the fake lizard was in tote.



Among other things, Jessica received a cute pink bicycle for her birthday. This picture about sums it up, "stay outta my way, or I'll run you over!"







We've spent a little time at the beach. Jessica was sharing some of her crabs with Emma.










Oh ya, Pluto is no longer a planet, say what? Who the hell decided this one? I mean take away that Michael Jackson is a man, and we can all agree...no scientist needed. But taking away planetship (did I just make up a word here) isn't that a little harsh? I'm going to guess that most of the scientists that voted to make this decision were men. It's been said that Pluto is no longer a planet, due to the "lack of it's size". Why don't we just get Pluto one of those huge jacked up trucks to compensate for the "lack of size"...seems to work for men. I guess when all the teachers get to the part in the textbook that claim Pluto is the ninth planet in the solar system, kids can pull out their sharpies and just scratch that part out. If it's that easy to rid something that's been in existence for so long, can't we just get rid of Bush?

So that's it..just working on figuring out how to make money appear out of the sky, convincing people that the grass truly is greener somewhere else and trying to enjoy adult life.

21 Comments:

At 10:06 PM, Blogger Mieke said...

Hello! I found your blog a couple months ago while searching for adoptions, and loved and was entertained by you. I was glad to see you back! You cracked me up about Pluto--no kidding, we have always thought of it as a planet. What the heck is going on??

 
At 5:17 AM, Blogger C's Mom said...

I musta missed that Pluto news...huh?

I was an 80s mall hair and I remember thinking then that Joan Jett was being nostalgic about dimes and jukeboxes.

I need to borrow the foam finger for my office ;0)

Glad my mortage is no longer with WF:0)

Jessica is beautious. Still, I have to wonder how many weirdo hits you'll get from the line "Jessica was sharing some of her crabs with Emma" (Job hazard that I think that way ;0)

Fun post.

 
At 6:43 AM, Blogger Meg said...

Yeah, your back! good luck with the new venture.....

 
At 6:46 AM, Blogger Stacey T. said...

Wwoooo Hooooo!!! Glad you are back!!!!

P/S Are you near Legoland?

 
At 8:01 AM, Blogger Aimee said...

I am near Legoland, are you going?

 
At 9:40 AM, Blogger Wendy said...

Hi! Congrats on starting a new business. I'm sure it's stressful, but hopefully successful soon!

Sorry to hear about Phil Grandma. I'm sure she'll be greatly missed.

An Oregon Ducks fan, really? Do you ever come up for games? Hubby does xrays for the team.

 
At 9:49 AM, Blogger Shelley said...

Glad to have you back Aimee.

And I'm right there with you on the business stuff. Congrats!

Shell

P.S. - How are you feeling?

 
At 9:54 AM, Blogger Gracencameronsmomy said...

I'm glad your'e back!! Yes, let's get rid of Bush!! I agree about Pluto!
Lisa

 
At 12:35 PM, Blogger Chrissie said...

Glad to see you're back in blogger land! Good luck with the new adventure (Phil's job that is...). Thanks for the updates!

 
At 12:36 PM, Blogger Tamara said...

You're girls are gorgeous! Hope things work out smoothly with the new buisness. Glad you all got some "adult time" gotta say- ya know how to have fun! :)

 
At 4:11 PM, Blogger Joannah said...

Welcome back!

 
At 4:42 PM, Blogger t~ said...

Wow! They actually did away with Pluto? I heard the debate but not the decision.

I am sooooo jealous over the adult time. See my envy? Sounds like you had a wonderful time!

Goodluck on the new venture!

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Colleen said...

Hi - missed ya! Glad to see you back. I too work for a "large" mortgage co and there are days.... UGH!!!!!!!!!!!!

NICE on the adult night out. Hope you see more of those. I think I take them for granted now since we don't have our Hannah home yet. Although tonite I am drinking alone downstairs and the DH went to bed early....... ?!?!?!?!?

Anyhow - hope you stay back in blogger land!!

 
At 7:30 PM, Blogger Everyone Has a Story... said...

Welcome Back! Sounds like a wild ride you have been on! How are the girls handling all of the comotion? I will keep you in my thoughts and send good vibes your way...my hubby is a Realtor here in the Monterey area, if you send me some cards, I could have him refer clients to you! Let me know. Hang in there...Kim

 
At 9:19 PM, Blogger Michelle said...

Welcome back! Missed you! You have had a lot going on. Good luck with the business.

 
At 10:42 PM, Blogger Karen said...

Whata come back! Glad to see the Nance's have returned!

 
At 6:24 PM, Blogger Ellen said...

I'm glad you're back!!

 
At 4:45 AM, Blogger Kim M. said...

Great post! Let's see where to start. We love us some college football around here (Notre Dame and Maryland). I love Joan Jett One of my favorites "I Hate Myself For Loving You". I still think Uranus should go but keep Pluto I love the name.

The girls get cuter everyday!

 
At 2:12 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you are back sweet pea!
Beth Escobar

 
At 12:01 AM, Blogger Jenny V said...

Yeah your back! I must say I was begining to worry that you might disappear forever! Loved your update. You had me rolling on the floor with laughter. You make the everyday life experiences seem hilarious and I love that! Thanks for the laugh- I dig Jessica's lizard! Is it pink too? Hope the money starts to fall from the sky soon! ( I need some of that too!)
Jenny V

 
At 12:30 PM, Blogger Jen said...

Yeah you're back! I missed your fun postings. Remember the greatest rewards come from the greatest risks. You'll be wildly successful I'm sure of it. Hang in there and hold on for the ride.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home